Wednesday, July 30, 2008

RECOMMENDED


Before you write this album off as "Oh no! Yet another classical crossover act!?", watch the video of the lead single off their album "Like the Sun" and then make up your mind. I was trawling the internet in the wee hours night typically as thats when everyone in my house is asleep and I come awake and also when I have the time to research and listen to music. I came across RyanDan (the name of the band incidentally is rather unoriginally the combination of the two brothers names, oh and they are identical twins as well) and upon listening to "Like The Sun" was instantly drawn to look into their music further.


After delving further it became apparent that this was actually not a classical crossover album at all but rather an album of well crafted and well sung songs by two very talented individuals. Apart from "Like The Sun" other highlights include "The Face" with its sparse piano and strings arrangement underscored by a choir in the background and the achingly beautiful and heartfelt "In Us I Believe". Unfortunately, other tracks on the album such as "Wind Beneath My Wings" and "I'll Be There" serve only as filler although their take on "Bring Him Home" from Les Miserables deserves a special mention here although I still feel its meant more for a solo voice rather than as a duet. The brothers switch impressively from falsetto to baritone showcasing their classical training throughout the album. Definitely an album worth purchasing if you can find it in Malaysia!

No comments: